Sunday, May 16, 2010

Where can I find Creeping Charlie , Clover or Violets (not the African kind) to plant as a ground cover?

I have several large dogs and they've worn away the grass under a large shade tree in the yard. As a child, I remember that these 3 plants grew everywhere in the backyard. I know that most gardeners want to destroy these hardy varities but not me. I live near Chicago.

Where can I find Creeping Charlie , Clover or Violets (not the African kind) to plant as a ground cover?
I know a good place to buy the clover and violets would be Earl May or any greenhouse would carry those two items. I am not tooo familiar with Creeping CHarlie thought but I bet any greenhouse could give you advice on where to find that. Just so you know, violets like shady areas and cooler weather so if want them to live the whole summer, give them plenty of water because too much heat can kill them quick. I know this from experience.





The clover is great for background but it can take over easily unless that is what you want. Trim it back if you want less. I hope this helps.


No comments:

Post a Comment