Sunday, May 16, 2010

Ground Ivy... Moneywort... Creeping Charlie... Whatever you call it, can I get rid of it?

Can I get rid of it and replace it with grass (from seed) effectively? How long will it take? What can I do to stop it from recurring when my neighbor has it?





Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Ground Ivy... Moneywort... Creeping Charlie... Whatever you call it, can I get rid of it?
You can spray it with vinegar to kill it. Unlike some other vegetation killers, it won't make the soil such that you cannot plant any other plants later. However, the length of time it takes depends on how much you have and how thick it has grown. I let mine get really out of control, so I had to spray a couple times a week for about a month before it all died.





But, to keep your neighbor's vine from invading your turf, use the vegetation killer to provide a barrier that is a couple inches wide where you don't want it to spread. You will have to reapply on occasion, I think I do it about once a year or so, just to give me peace of mind. It spreads so fast, climbs trees and chokes the life out of my other garden plants. So, I am pretty vigilant about re-treating the area so that it doesn't get out of control again.

ada

No comments:

Post a Comment