Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Is it safe to use creeping rosemary from my garden in the kitchen in place of tuscan?

I have two varieties of rosemary in my garden, both of which I bought from Home Depot in the spring. I grow some tuscan (officianlis) rosemary but as it grows slowly I am running out of it. I also grow "creeping rosemary" which is a lot more prolific. When I picked some, it smelled like pine leaves and I am afraid to use it. Is creeping rosemary a true subspecies of rosemary and is it safe to use in the kitchen?

Is it safe to use creeping rosemary from my garden in the kitchen in place of tuscan?
Yes, of course. I use it constantly. Just make sure that you wash it well.


:)
Reply:Rosmarinus officinalis lavandulaceous, Santa Barbara creeping Rosemary is a subspecies of Rosmarinus officinalis, the true Rosemary. It is safe to use for cooking.





The picture on this page: http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/ros...


shows what it looks like, so you can see if it is the same plant.

ada

No comments:

Post a Comment