Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Hw does Creeping Charlie stay alive and green under the snow and ice while all the other weeds are dormant?

I mean, you go outside and look on the ground and all the plants are brown and dormant, including Dandelions, but the Creeping Charlie is still green. How does it stay green in the middle of January?

Hw does Creeping Charlie stay alive and green under the snow and ice while all the other weeds are dormant?
Wildcat, here is my guess: ATP's or antifreeze proteins. Here is a link to an article on these special kinds of proteins found in plants, animals, fungi,and bacteria:





http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze_...





Scroll down to "Plant ATPs" and "History."





Perhaps like you, I at first I typed into search engines key words like gill-over-the-ground, creeping charlie, leaves and winter, leaves and freezing, etc.


Then I got on the Wikipedia site and typed in "plants, antifreeze."





I hope this points you in the right direction. Just a guess but it might be the correct answer.


No comments:

Post a Comment